Monday, February 2, 2015

NAM NAM NOODLE BAR PIK JAKARTA


Nam Nam is Nom Nom!

Yes. They are. 

I have heard numerous good words about Nam Nam and I've been wanting to try Nam Nam twice on my two last visits to Singapore, both cancelled due to the unbelievably long queue. I guess queuing over food is not only Indonesia's culture. 

I first got to know about the opening soon of Nam Nam in Jakarta, Pantai Indah Kapuk to be exact was when I visited Belly Inc. Nam Nam is located just beside them and Fish & Co. My first thought at the time "Damn, the growth of Jakarta's F&B scene is seriously crazy!". Do you know that the world's cheapest Michelin stars' restaurant, Tim Ho Wan will also be opening soon in Jakarta? Sick right? I mean, in a good way. 


Anyway, back to Nam Nam. Honestly, I am a soupy food kind of person, but I never am really into pho. The only Vietnamese food I like is the mighty bahn mi from Cali Deli, and that's it. Even when so many people rave about MonViet's pho and how delicious it is, I personally don't like it. But Nam Nam is different. To make sure, I waited until second visit before I write this post, just to make sure and both were great. If this is still beginner's luck, then I'm glad I'm blessed that way. 


Nam Nam's interior is pretty not in that sort of classy beautiful way. They made the place comfortable and cozy without leaving out the design part.



On the menu, you'll find variety of bahn mi, pho and other Vietnamese noodles. I find their pho to be particularly amazing. The broth was just a perfect companion in these rainy days.

PHO BEEF COMBINATION (75k)

We chose this one among their 6 options of Hanoi Pho. Hanoi is the birthplace of Vietnamese pho, while pho is a bowl of rice flour noodles with intense broth boiled over 24hours and garnished with freshly chopped herbs. Their pho comes with choices of having it with pho rice noodles, instant noodles or bee hon.


We went with the original pho rice noodles. The moment it was served on the table, I could smell the fresh herbs fragrant and the beautiful colors just warms up my appetite. The pho was so good! The broth despite using no msg, was rich and flavorful. The toppings, beef slices, beef balls, beef shank, tendon, and honeycomb tripe were generous and super nice. The beef slices particularly were delightful, it was served medium rare, tender yet juicy. To me, it was a winning dish. A very comforting meal.

FRESHLY PRESSED SUGARCANE JUICE WITH KAFFIR LIME LEAVES (20k)
CHILLED DRIED LONGAN, LOTUS SEEDS, WATER CHESNUT, SEAWEED DESSERT (28k)
The sugarcane was super refreshing. Instead of sweet, it was sour. Perfect!

CRISPY SQUID, FRESH HERBS, GREEN CHILLIES (38k)
Too bad this one didn't live up to its name, the squid was a bit flabby, not crispy as stated.

QUANG STYLE EGG NOODLE (65k)

We also tried the other classic Vietnamese noodles. A dry version of egg noodles with grilled chicken, prawn, fried prawn wonton, rice cracker, chopped herbs and peanuts. 
Though it didn't has as much strong impact as the pho, I find myself quite liking this one as well. Without any additional seasonings, it actually tasted quite like regular Chinese noodle. The herbs wasn't too strong. Prawns were great, chicken sadly was overcooked. 

Despite some flaws, I still feel Nam Nam is quite excellent. It's about time for PIK to have variety of other cuisines, and Nam Nam is just the perfect addition. 



NAM NAM NOODLE BAR
Rukan Crown Golf Blok D No.21-23
Pantai Indah Kapuk, North Jakarta
(Beside Fish & Co)
Ph. +6221 29424884
Opening hours: 11am - 11pm
IG: @namnamnoodlebar

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Bole nyokap ni klo nnt ke pik

Eliza said...

too bad Indo branch uses beef instead of pork like in Singapore. The banh mi pork is superb, rich flavour! they also have pork belly salad which is melting in mouth. sorry i am kinda exaggerating, huh? but they are that good. :P

myfoodtreats.blogspot.com

Ivy said...

@eliza: oh really? Damn they should hv made pork as options.

Unknown said...

OMG uda buka? I love nam nam in SG. My version of best most athentic pho in jakarta must be the one in grand indonesia called My Pho owned by a vietnamese lady. Do try!

Daniel H Karsono said...

Taste of Combination noodle pho is suck. You must try the one in Singapore, taste much much better than this You have to becareful when you eat it! Last Saturday on Feb 28 2015. I found bugs with big bumble when I enjoyed it. When I complained they just say sorry . I can' t imagine if I bite those big bug inside my noodle bowl .. Beside the price also overrated 75K for combo noodle bug������