Wednesday, January 13, 2016

BAO JI PELASPAS DHARMAWANGSA JAKARTA


After I went back from my short new year trip, I have few days to spare before going back on the healthy catering I've been taking recently. I used that few days to visit some restaurants I haven't been to, including this one.

If you're familiar with Taco Local, this one is managed by the same people behind them. Bao Ji is Chinese name for buns, located at Pelaspas Dharmawangsa, the place has the sort of vintage-ish sort of design just like Taco Local, but their glass house exterior makes the design concept more appealing. 


It was my first time visiting Pelaspas Dharmawangsa, housing of several petite cafes with quirky design, But First Coffee, Snctry (which I'll for sure visit soon!) and Taco Local. I'm not sure if the one at Panglima Polim moved here or they just open another branch here.


On why I was so eager on trying Bao Ji probably had some thing to do with my disappointment on having no time to try Little Bao on my recent HK trip. They sell this steamed bun with pork belly that I really wanted to try so when I saw Bao Ji on the instagram, I figured I'd give it a try.



Roast Pork Belly (39k)

Steamed bun with roast pork belly, cracklings, hoisin and goma dressings. The bun was quite okay, soft. The pork belly, however was pretty standard. The flavor was there but it was cooked too long that it was way too tender, losing it juiciness. No one likes soft mushy belly. It's unfortunate really, as if only they cooked it right, it would be a very tender delicious belly.

Panko Belly (60k)

First of all, I like the presentation. The taro puree adding a nice color into it, but that's just it. The puree was bland, no strong taro taste. The deep fried pork belly was thick, but a bit hard so again losing its juiciness.

Stuffed Cakwe (50k)


Now this one who I thought will only be a standard side dish was actually become our favorite that day. It was stuffed with minced prawn, super crisp without being oily. If only the salted egg yolk has bolder taste, the dish would be perfect.

I didn't regret my visit. It always good to try new place, new food. When I visit Snctry, I'll probably grab another batch of their pork belly bun, I might be lucky enough to get that perfectly cooked belly bun.

Thank you for reading!

Bao Ji 
Pelaspas Dharmawangsa
Jl. Dharmawangsa Raya No. 4
South Jakarta
IG: @baojicama 


No comments: