Monday, June 26, 2017

HAWKER CHAN PIK JAKARTA


Brought by the same group behind Tim Ho Wan Indonesia, Hawker Chan opens its first international branch in Jakarta. Two restaurants both are popular with "The world's cheapest Michelin starred restaurant" under the same roof. If you haven't know already, Hawker Chan is a hawker stall in Singapore specialized in soya chicken who in the past year becoming well known after gaining the Michelin star.   
Located on the second floor of Tim Ho Wan PIK, don't expect a restaurant with fancy design. Probably to be aligned with their humble starting point, the design here is pretty standard with simple food presentation and affordable price range, just the right place for a quick decent lunch.


Roasted Pork Noodle IDR 52.000,- ; Roasted Pork Rice IDR 42.000,-
I was drawn by the look of their noodle. Any Hong Kong type noodle has always been successful in drawing my attention. As expected, the noodle was really good. Firm and springy, just the way I like it. Though I would prefer if the seasoning of chili oil under the noodle wasn't that oily. But still, my kind of noodle. The roast pork was just fine, skin wasn't crackling crispy, meat wasn't as tender as I would hope for. It would be great if in the future they would have Hainan rice as an option instead of only white rice.


Soya Chicken (Half) IDR 80.000,-
Their main star, the soya chicken was actually looking very tempting despite the humble presentation. Just by looking at it, I can tell the meat must be super moist, and I was right. Despite mine was breast cut (yes, I prefer breast part rather than thigh as I always feel that thigh part is greasier somehow), anyway despite it was breast part which sometimes can be a bit too dry, this one doesn't. The meat was tender and moist. To me, it was a bit under seasoning, but Indonesian who can't stay away from chili, just dipped it with the fresh chili they put on the table and you're good. 


Overall in my opinion, the food is just okay. It is an ideal place if you want to grab a quick decent lunch, but I personally didn't feel that extra oomph to make me quickly want to go back for second visit, except for the noodle, possibly. Nevertheless, to have another "Michelin starred" restaurant opens in my hometown still is a good news for Jakarta's F&B growth. 

Thank you for reading!

Hawker Chan 
Ruko Crown Golf Blok D No. 8-10
Bukit Golf Mediterania, Pantai Indah Kapuk
North Jakarta
Opening hours: 10am - 10pm
IG: @hawker_chan_indo

No comments: